• Liv Jules

Lab 6: Networking and Pondering About Lab 2

A couple months ago I wrote about climate change, and the effect it has on our national parks and beaches that we love to explore.


With further research, I wondered if more people grew up talking about the climate crisis.


Personally, it wasn’t a household topic of conversation. It was something I had to learn myself, while immersing myself in the social culture of Twitter in my adolescence.


I decided to ask my Instagram audience, via story, if they grew up talking about climate change.


Results in a pie chart made on mediamodifier.com, on Sunday, Nov. 14, 2021. The question, "Was Climate Change talked about in your household growing up?" via Instagram story.

32% of people, in a 121 person study, said that they did talk about climate change in their homes. The other 68% were just like me. And that’s not something I’m proud of.


Furthermore in this investigation, I wanted to ask people how they feel about the cleanliness of our beaches, given they are frequent travelers. I used Instagram because most of my followers share that same interest that I have – exploring the beauty of our world.


Results made on mediamodifier.com, on Sunday, Nov. 14, 2021. The question, "How do you feel about the cleanliness of our National Parks and beaches?" via Instagram story.

Out of 100 people whom my story reached, a majority of them were on the brink of feeling dissatisfied to neutral about this topic. I can see that, hence the difference in where we may travel to.


If someone is in a Michigan beach compared to a popular resort in Florida — one may be a bit cleaner than the other just by population.


According to the National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA), our parks are warming at twice the rate compared to the rest of the country.


Tahquamenon Falls, where my piece was based off of, has fish swimming in the water. Since NPCA says our parks are warming at twice the rate, our fish may be in danger.


According to a blog post by photographer Lynne Buchanan, when the temperature of the falls rises above 70 degrees, cold water species cannot survive.


I decided to mock an Instagram and Twitter post for this Lab.


An Instagram mock-up for my Lab 6 post. Made on mediamodifier.com on Sunday, Nov. 14, 2021.

I chose this photo because I know my engagement is better when there is a person in my photo. I also kept the Instagram caption short with a call to action, knowing from previous experience that my audience would rather read something very short and to the point.


As for Twitter, I know most of my followers are very like-minded and will take the time to read about the topic. I worded the tweet to leave my audience some food for thought, in hopes they would like to read more and click my link.


A Twitter mock-up post for Lab 6. Made on mediamodifier.com on Sunday, Nov. 14, 2021.

I personally feel that these would be effective in regards to the topic. It’s something that we all have heard about by now, but need to talk about more often. And more in-depth.


According to an NBC News article, our beaches could be completely wiped out by the climate crisis. It's noted that the rise in sea level and change in climate can destroy our sandy shorelines.


A lot of people my age may not pay attention to the news, or take the time to read an article.


I hope that by seeing a friend like me, posting short blurbs on Instagram, or linking my blog posts on Twitter — they will grasp the information swiftly and start thinking about what is going on in the world around them.


6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All